The .exe file is the extension used for the executable files. And the executable files are those files that consist of some instructions and with the help of these kinds of files devices or systems directly executes with an operating system. In windows, you can easily open the Exe files on windows, but till there is some confusion amongst people about How to Open Exe Files on Mac ?, here in this article we will discuss How to Open Exe Files on Mac ? and to do that you have to follow some certain steps and here I mention those steps.
It causes mac user some inconvenience to continue use legacy applications. A typical case is the Mikrotik RouteOS management and configuration tool winbox cannot run on macOS anymore. The main reason behind winbox not able to run is related to a windows application simulation tool wine (winehq) is no longer supported by Catalina. There are many other ways to run Windows program on a Mac. Here is a comparative table to understand the advantages of our solution. Virtual machines. (Parallels, VMWare Fusion) Price.
But before the steps, there are some required things which will be needed to Open the Exe Files on Mac, such as –
This is a tool that allows you to run windows applications on your Mac operating systems.
Download – https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17376/wine
Winebottler is a kind of package manager which bundles your windows applications on your Mac operating systems and besides that, it also uses to run and open the executable files into your mac operating system.
How to Open Exe File on Mac with using Winebottler?
Just follow the mention steps to open the exe file on mac –
First, visit the Winebottler website and there you will get two winebottler options which you can download, in most cases, I would recommend you to download the first winebottler version which includes a green button.
But if you are running anything lower than os x Capitan then I would recommend you to go with the second option which is a stable version.
Now click on the download button and it will take you to an advertising screen, just simply skip the ads, it will appear at the top right corner.
And wait for some time until the Winebottler is fully installing on your device.
Double click on the setup file, now drag both icons into the applications file.
Now two-finger click into your exe file and this will bring a dropdown menu.
An optional pop-up box will appear in front of us and just selects the open with dropdown option from here.
And here you will see a box at the name of wine just click on the box.
Now, this is the final step, just check Run in option is selected or not if it is not selected then select that.
Finally, you have to click on the go button and your Exe file starts to load.
This is how you can open the Exe files on mac, I hope you have understood the steps properly.
How to Open Exe Files on Mac Catalina?
Catalina is a kind of operating system and it was mainly used by the macintosh it was initially released in the year 2019. And here in this article, we will talk about How to Open Exe Files on Mac Catalina ?. To do that just follow the steps.
First selects any kind of exe files and then right-click on that file.
Now selects the open with option from here.
Make sure you have to download the winebottler already then select the wine option.
Run Windows Exe On Mac Catalina Update
Choose the run directly in the option and click on the go button.
Why Can’t I Open Exe Files on Mac?
The opening of the Exe file on Windows is a very easy method, you just have to extract the exe files and then you can easily open the Exe file.
But that is not the issue with Mac, in Mac you have to install some tools and follow some of the certain methods to open the Exe files.
Some tools are Wine and winebottler these are really helpful tools and these tools are helpful to run the Windows program on mac and these are also useful to Open the Exe Files on Mac.
How to Open Exe Files on Mac with Terminal?
Generally, the Terminal is the predecessor of the Mac operating system and it was originally developed by Apple. And it was originally developed by the objective c programming language. Here we will mention some of the steps through which you can Open the Exe File on Mac with Terminal.
Run Windows Exe On Mac Catalina Download
First, go to applications and utilities and then click on the terminal.
Now locate the exe files and move those onto cd directories.
Now unzip the exe file and press the enter button.
How to Open Exe Files on Mac without Bootcamp?
If you want to Open any kind of Exe files on Mac then there are mainly two ways, you can open the exe files with the help of Bootcamp.
Or otherwise, if you want to open Exe Files on Mac without Bootcamp, then you have to download some of the tools like – Wine, Winebottler.
And after the download process then follow the steps that I have already mentioned at the beginning of this article.
In this article, I have discussed How to Open Exe Files on Mac? in a step-by-step guide, I hope you have liked this article, and if you have any kind of query then you can ask me in the comment section.
And please follow our website regularly for this kind of informational and helpful article.
Since upgrade macOS to 10.15 Catalina, 32bit applications are no longer supported. It causes mac user some inconvenience to continue use legacy applications. A typical case is the Mikrotik RouteOS management and configuration tool winbox cannot run on macOS anymore. The main reason behind winbox not able to run is related to a windows application simulation tool wine (winehq) is no longer supported by Catalina.
To solve this issue, there’s two ways.
- Get a Winbox macOS version directly from https://joshaven.com/resources/tools/winbox-for-mac/ – Be aware, this is not an official release and some limitation. It needs to wait for new release after Mikrotik winbox update.
- A small trick to let wine continue to work under macOS Catalina. See instruction below.
- Download latest Winbox from offical website https://www.mikrotik.com/download, please choose winbox (64-bit)
- Move winbox64.exe to /Applications/ folder
- Download XQuartx 2.7.11 from https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.7.11.html and install
- Download Wine Stable 5.0 from https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html (Wine Dev/Staging version may have some compatible issues)
- Please choose Wine Stable 5.0 installer not the tarball which will cause idiot Symantec SEP client lot Heur.AdvML.B report.
- Install Wine Stable 5.0 and choose 64-bit support during the installation
- Open macOS Automator app and create a new application
- Save the created Automator application to the Desktop for example
- Now double click the Desktop Automator icon, it will bring up Wine. The first start up, it will install couple components (mono and gekco) of wine required.
- Idiot Symantec SEP client will report /Users/xxx/.wine/drive_c/windows/mono/mono-2.0/support/installinf-x86.exe as malware (Trojan.Gen.2). You can just ignore it or uninstall Symantec SEP client. macOS does not need Symantec.
- Your winbox is ready to use now.
- Optional: Right click the Automator application and get info, you can change the logo from there.
- You may experience macOS complaining winbox64 is not verified app, needs to move to bin. You can ignore this message by click ‘cancel’, then goto system security to allow winbox64 anyway, or disable gatekeeper (at your own risk).
As wine requires XQuartx, and XQuartx hasn’t been updated for almost 4 years, there’s a security vulnerability within XQuartx. Please refer https://www.xfelix.com/2020/04/fix-xquartz-sparkle-vulnerability/ to address the issue.
Comments are closed.