It installs an app named Install Version Name. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system. MacOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion; OS X El Capitan 10.11 can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard.
To get the latest features and maintain the security, stability, compatibility, and performance of your Mac, it's important to keep your software up to date. Apple recommends that you always use the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Learn how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur, the latest version of macOS.
Nov 10, 2018 Download Mac OS X Yosemite - The OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users. Download the Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. First, download the latest Mac OS X version, which is 10.10 Yosemite. It is the version currently available for download from the “App Store”. (If you want an earlier version like Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, you’ll need to get it from elsewhere.) Launch “App Store” and search for “OS X Yosemite.
The version of macOS that came with your Mac is the earliest version it can use. For example, if your Mac came with macOS Big Sur, it will not accept installation of macOS Catalina or earlier.
If a macOS can't be used on your Mac, the App Store or installer will let you know. For example, it might say that it's not compatible with this device or is too old to be opened on this version of macOS. To confirm compatibility before downloading, check the minimum hardware requirements:
- macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements
- macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements
- macOS Sierra 10.12 hardware requirements
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 hardware requirements
- OS X Yosemite 10.10 hardware requirements
Download macOS using Safari on your Mac
Safari uses these links to find the old installers in the App Store. After downloading from the App Store, the installer opens automatically.
- macOS Catalina 10.15 can upgrade Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks
- macOS Mojave 10.14 can upgrade High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 can upgrade Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
Safari downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.
- macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
- OS X Yosemite 10.10can upgrade Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the much-awaited latest version of OS X Operating System from Apple, was announced and soon made available to public. As soon as the launch of latest Apple desktop OS happened, there were instant comparisons between OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite. Macbook users or iMac users can get free download of Apple OS X Yosemite from Mac App Store to check out its various features. In this article, we shall go through useful tips to upgrade to OS X Yosemite from OS X Mavericks as well as ways to clean install Yosemite from scratch after formatting.
OS X 10.10 Yosemite features
This OS has got a look that resembles the iOS design. The OS font (typeface) has been upgraded to Helvetica Neue from Lucida Grande. It is accompanied with an enhanced notification center containing two categories: one for notifications and one for Today’s view consisting of reminders, upcoming events, current weather conditions, etc.
The revamped Mail app with additions like Mail Drop (to send email attachments larger than 5 GB over cloud) as well as Markup (for image and document annotation) is pure delight for Mac users. Add to it, the pleasantly redesigned dock and this OS doesn’t stop impressing with its design. Moreover, there has been some innovation with regards to continuity feature “Handoff” to carry on with an incomplete task (that was started on iOS device) and complete it on a Mac or vice versa.
System requirements for upgrading to Yosemite OS
1. Already running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2. 2 GB RAM and 8 GM storage space
3. Compatibility for running OS X Mavericks
4. Support for Bluetooh 4.0 LE; especially to use Handoff feature
How to upgrade Mac to OS X 10.10 Yosemite?
Visit the Mac App Store – Free Download of OS X Yosemite for Mac.
Continue with the free upgrade by clicking the relevant OS X option. Once the 5.16 GB file is downloaded, it would trigger the launch of OS X Yosemite Installer. Carry out the installation on your chosen hard drive after agreeing to the Apple terms & conditions.
How to full install OS X Yosemite from scratch after formatting your Mac?
1. Make sure that OS X bootable installer drive (USB disk) is kept ready.
2. From the old Mac OS, take backup of all your important content using Time Machine or some external drive.
3.Get your Mac connected to the bootable installer drive for rebooting.
4. Navigate to the boot selection menu using “Option” key. From the menu, choose the option “Install OS X Yosemite” for USB installer. The window “OS X Utilities” opens up, from which you need to first select the “Disk Utility” option for data erase (i.e. fourth option from the Utilities window image as seen below).
5. Select the hard drive (partition) where you want to carry out complete Yosemite download and then click “Erase” tab.
Download Macos Yosemite Installer
6. In the format field of the Erase tab, enter the entry “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” from the drop-down list.
Download Os X Yosemite Installer
7. In the name field of the Erase tab, give a suitable descriptive name for the hard disk. Click on the “Erase” option to format the drive and all its contents.
This marks the end of formatting process and you can come back to the OS X Utilities window. Select the option “Install OS X” for downloading new copy of Yosemite. Agree to the terms & conditions and continue the fresh download of OS X on the chosen destination drive.
Now you have a clean version of OS X Yosemite on your Mac with no preferred apps or content carried forward. On this OS, you can now get your backup files and install your choice of apps.
I have tried to share useful tips related to different ways of upgrading or downloading the latest Mac OS X. I hope you would find this useful while carrying out the relevant complete download OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Please feel free to ask Yosemite installation queries or share your experience!
Comments are closed.